What does the future hold for Lamezia Terme International?
Official Press Conference
Summary of Main Points
- Well over 1.900.000 passengers travelled through Lamezia International airport in the previous year (2010), an increase of 16.22% on 2009
- 14,332 flights departed from Lamezia in 2010
- Ryanair has proposed to make of Lamezia a permanent strategic hub to be well inserted in its network of point to point routes.
- Ryanair will operate 39 flights per week during the winter schedule and 46 flights during the summer.
- Negotiations are ongoing with other airlines such as Easyjet. They have proposed to start conducting flights from winter 2011
- Confirmation and consolidation of charter flights from Germany, Eastern Europe and Russia.
- Construction of a dedicated “Low Cost Airlines” Terminal 2 at Lamezia International. This will include a further 380 car parking places.
- The aim is to make of Lamezia an important hub in the European low cost network, similar to Bergamo and Trapani.
- A new tower which is already constructed will house new exhibition rooms as well as a restaurant which will enjoy some wonderful panoramic views of the local area
- A hotel chain – Aerotel have a proposed to construct a hotel (80 rooms), it is envisaged that this investment will bring about 50 million euros of investment in to the local area
The Regional President Giuseppe Scopelliti has participated this morning at a press conference on the prospects for growth and development of the international airport of Lamezia Terme.
The event, sponsored by the President of Sacal, Vincenzo Speziali, presented the operating results of Calabria airport in 2010, focusing also on the next objective of stimulating ‘infrastructure to be implemented for 2011, including projects for extension and improvement of customer services, approximately 500 additional parking spaces, a new terminal, a new office tower with restaurant and exhibitions space (highlighted the excellence that Calabria has to offer), a new airport hotel – Aerotel, and a new reception hall.
Regarding new links, they announced the launch of additional routes, Italian and international, including Pisa, Bergamo, Trapani, London, Dusseldorf, Brussels, Barcelona and Frankfurt.
During his speech the Governor Scopelliti said the successful operation of Sacal “In a short time, President Scopelliti said – important work has been done. As a region we have always worked to bridge the gap with the rest of the world and northern Italy. In the immediate future, priority will be given to the internal structural works such as road haulage, sea and rail, but they need more time for implementation, air links are an easier solution to be launched soon.
We must make our area attractive – Governor Scopelliti said, and we must encourage agreements with airlines, making the most of our airports.
Ryanair to Lamezia will make a decisive increase of users, especially tourists, at the same time we are working to allow their aircraft to land even in Reggio Calabria and Crotone.
With various companies, we should better coordinate the provision on the three regional airports, to avoid having the same flights at the same time as it does now with two airports Lamezia and Reggio.
In our plans – concluded Mr Scopelliti – we intend to make uniform the service in the region, with Lamezia airport which is referred to as the international airport, Reggio Calabria and Crotone will then focus on charter flights
According to the Regional Councillor for Productive Activities Antonio Caridi, “opportunity to give more space to excellence in Calabria, represents a turning point for our producers, not least because of Lamezia International Airport is an important showcase for most of the tourists “. At the press conference there was also the President of the Regional Council, Regional Councillor Frank Talarico and staff, Domenico Tallini.
More specifically, and in reference to the agreement being presently drawn up by Ryanair, cited the direct flights that will be activated from Bergamo, Pisa, Bologna, Trapani, London, Dusseldorf, Brussels, Barcelona and Frankfurt.
Ryanair – Flight Schedule | UK
In March flights will be conducted on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, then from the 1st April straight through to October, flights will be conducted 4 times weekly, as follows:
Leaving London Stansted
Monday – 4.45pm
Wednesday – 11.15am
Friday – 5.10pm
Sundays – 12.05pm
Leaving Lamezia International
Monday – 9.10pm
Wednesday – 3.40pm
Friday – 9.35pm
Sundays – 4.30pm
Ryanair – Flight Schedule | Ireland
NEW ROUTE | Cork to Milan Bergamo
On the 6th of Jan 2011, Ryanair announced a new route from Cork to Milan Bergamo. The new Milan Bergamo service will operate twice-weekly and will commence on the 2 of June with fares from €37.99 one way inclusive of taxes. Ryanair then connects with Lamezia Terme and operates twice daily.