Source: The Asian Age
San Lorenzo del Vallo: The mayor of the small Italian town of San Lorenzo del Vallo is encouraging Hollywood star Mel Gibson to purchase an ancient home there. The director of The Passion of the Christ could enjoy the privacy of a large 600-year-old castle, according to mayor Luciano Marranghello.
“It’s a building from the 1500’s with Spanish architecture because it was built following the marriage of the Spanish Mendoza and noble woman Lucrezia della Valle, who came from the town,” Marranghello said. Gibson became enchanted with southern Italy after filming The Passion of the Christ in a medieval town in the southern Basilicata region. The star is looking to buy a house in the region of Calabria, in Italy’s deep south, Italian gossip website Gossipitaliano.it reported on June 16.
The castle has 13 thousand square metres of land surrounding it guaranteeing privacy, said Marranghello. San Lorenzo del Vallo is further south in the Calabria region and has 3,500 inhabitants.
International Horizons Comments:
We have just returned from a trip to Calabria. We viewed properties on the west & east coasts and in the Sila Mountain National Park.
If you have never visited Calabria we are sure that you would be uncertain of what to expect…… It has stunning crystal clear seas with great beaches, countryside, the real Italy, Ski resorts, Historical towns and spectacular views…. Why not find your perfect property in Italy here is just some of the properties in Calabria we have for sale:-
* Harbour View Apartments – Harbour View Apartments is set in an idyllic position over looking the beautiful coastal town of Tropea, which boasts one of the world’s most beautiful and acclaimed beaches attracting Italian and international visitors for decades.
* Portino Silano Sila Mountains – We are proud to offer a brand new development of 6 luxury boutique apartments in the beautiful village of Lorica in the Sila Mountains.
If you love nature – long walks, picnics, cycling, canoeing and skiing then look no further. The apartments are surrounded by a beautiful garden and natural woods where one can walk in peace. Furthermore, the lake where you can enjoy boat excursions and other water sports is literally a few steps away, the apartments have lake views too.
* Baia Verde Zambrone – Baia Verde is a very high quality low density off – plan development comprises of 11 Luxurious Detached ‘3 Bed / 2 Bath’ Villas with Solarium. The site itself is perched on an elevated location in the municipality of Zambrone, with south west facing orientation, providing the site with majestic panoramic sea views over the Tyrrhenian coast.
* Borgonovo Apartments Pizzo – situated just off-shore from the turquoise Tyrrhenian Sea; only 700 meters from Pizzo old town centre and within a short 15-minute drive of Lamezia International Airport offering direct, frequent and inexpensive flights from some Europe’s and the Worlds largest airports (Moscow, New York, Berlin, London). SPECIAL OFFER 2000 euros TOWARDS A KITCHEN on certain properties
* Portoada Park – is one of the most exclusive villa developments in this area of Calabria, a private gated urbanization of semi detached villas nestled into ancient surroundings. Designed to suit multi-cultural tastes, this unique project will cover all aspects of your new elegant life style
* Sabbia di Marinella – Delightfully positioned between sea and mountains, Sabbia di Marinella is a distinctive development introducing a new standard of living to Calabria. Located in the immediate vicinity of Pizzo, 20 minutes away from the international airport of Lamezia Terme and only 30 minutes from beautiful Tropea, the project takes its name from the pristine sands of the adjacent beach, just a short walking distance away.
* Porto Rhoca – Perfectly situated between the Calabrian capital of Catanzaro and the vibrant tourism destination of Soverato, the luxury 4 star resort of Porto Rhoca nestles in to the Olive groves and agricultural area of Squillace. This Ideal location provides panoramic views of the Ionic coast line, over the locally farmed land; however is still only 10 minutes walk to the beach or alternatively 4 minutes drive in the shuttle bus that runs every quarter of an hour provided by the resort.
* Napitia Hills – Pizzo – Calabria – Special offer 3% pre-launch discount for 1 month only – STUNNING SEA VIEW APARTMENTS, Traditional Italy at its Finest, NEW Centre of PIZZO. Napitia Hills is perched at the most elevated point of Pizzo providing each property with unobstructed, panoramic sea views over the town its self. With a walking time of only 15 minutes you can enjoy the day to day lifestyle of an Italian resident in the central Piazza, taking part and enjoying the towns all year round festivities.